During the Intensive Revision Bootcamp, the concepts surrounding the chapter on Energy Changes (Endothermic/Exothermic) are dissected and the correct concepts are shared with the class.This chapter requires little memorization and in fact, 95% of the chapter involved the understanding of the concepts and applying them accordingly in application questions, especially for those that involves Bond-Forming & Bond-Making.
First we need to define Exothermic and Endothermic properly.
– Reactions that gives out heat energy to the surroundings
– T of reaction mixture rises. Container feels hotter
– Reactions that takes in heat energy from the surroundings
– Temperature of reaction mixture falls. Container feels cold.
Energy changes in reactions are caused by the making & breaking of chemical bonds
? Bond Making –> Exothermic Process
? Bond Breaking –> Endothermic Process
Tell if a Reaction is Exothermic or Endothermic by:
? Exothermic Reaction:? ?H bond breaking < ?H bond making
? Endothermic Reaction:? ?H bond breaking >? ?H bond making
Any takers? Write down your suggested answers in the Comment section below, and we will discuss it accordingly.
PS: Once again –> Participation is Impt! No point me showing you all the answers and working, and u dont learn.
- O Level Chemistry: Energy Changes – Exothermic & Endothermic Reactions
- O Level Chemistry: Energy Changes (Endothermic & Exothermic Reactions)
- O Level Chemistry: Energy Changes (Exo/Endo) & Bond Energy
- O Level Chemistry – Rate of Reaction Mini Series Part 3
- O Level Chemistry – Rate of Reaction Mini Series Part 1